” evangelista: …Nay, how could there be a greater sin committed than that, when Adam, at that one clap, broke all the Ten Commandments?
nomista: Did he break all the Ten Commandments, say you? Sir, I beseech you show me wherein.
evangelista: 1. He chose himself another god when he followed the devil
2. He idolized and deified his own belly [that is, as the apostle’s, &c]; as the apostle’s phrase is, ‘He made his belly his god.’
3. He took the name of God in vain, when he believed him not.
4. He kept not the rest and estate wherein God had set him.
5. He dishonored his Father who was in heaven; and therefore his days were not prolonged in that land which the Lord his God had given him.
6. He massacred himself and all his posterity.
7. From Eve he was a virgin, but in eyes and mind he committed spiritual fornication.
8. He stole, like Achan, that which God had set aside not to be meddled with; and this his stealth is that which troubles all Israel-the whole world.
9. He bare witness against God, when he believed the witness of the devil before him.
10. He coveted an evil covetousness, like Amnon, which cost him his life (2 Sam. 13), and all his progeny. Now, whosoever considers what a nest of evils here were committed at one blow, must needs, with Musculus, see our case to be such, that we are compelled every way to commend the justice of God [that is, to justify God], and to condemn the sin of our first parents, saying, concerning all mankind, as the prophet Hosea does concerning Israel, ‘O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself’ (Hos. 3:9).”
The Marrow of Modern Divinity by Edward Fischer, 2009 edition by Christian Focus Publications, pg. 57-58